Recipe by: Lynn Lewis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 kg chicken parts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and each one halved
- 1 cup (250 ml) white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (420 g) white beans (butter/cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 750 g butternut pumpkin, seeded, peeled, and cut into 5 cm pieces
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Season chicken with half the salt and all the pepper. Brown chicken in batches in casserole, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Lower heat to medium. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the dish. Stir in tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme and remaining salt. Add chicken. Bring to the boil. Cover.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Stir in the beans and pumpkin. Cover. Bake until chicken and pumpkin are tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves and serve.
Copyright by The Readers Digest Association, Inc. 2007. Recipes provided by allrecipes.com.au